|First and second mixed flower dye extractions|
The first extraction produced a vibrant orange. Two subsequent baths produced softer and duller peachy oranges. I used the exhaust baths to dye 100g of Shetland roving.
The best surprise of the day was a test I did with some dried chocolate cosmos. The sample is a deep olive green with warm orange overtones.
|Chocolate cosmos test|
I made a few more baths with fermented lichen liquors.
|Dyeing with fermented lichen liquor|
I saved the leftover lichen for a second fermentation.
|The leftover lichen|
The last bath was a bit of an experiment. It was an "ice flower" bath made from dark purple petunias and pansies. I got the idea from India Flint's book "Eco Colour". The flowers are frozen and then boiling water is poured over then. The dye is massaged out and then the skein of wool is added. It's not a light fast dye, but I though I'd give it a try. The bath was a bright blue until I added the skein of wool. Apparently these flower dyes are very sensitive to ph.
|Ice flower bath|